The Asia Pacific Mission for Migrants (APMM) have released “WHAT MIGRANTS WANT”, a 12-minute video presenting the issues confronting migrants and refugees during the COVID-19 pandemic as well as their demands, both urgent and long-term.
Some of the concrete policy demands in the film include:
- Governments need to provide assistance to all returning migrants during the global pandemic
- Need to improve migrant’s living conditions, including upholding workplace safety and migrants’ rights to decent and worthy work
- Stop detaining migrants and expelling refugees, demilitarize the borders, and allow entry of stranded migrants
- Combat stigmatization, racism, xenophobia, and anti-migrant sentiments; especially violence and attacks stemming from these.
- Include migrants in governments’ services, protection, and economic relief programs
- Change the migration-for-development framework of the Global Compact for Safe, Orderly, and Regular Migration
- In the long-run, pursue an independent, people-centered and sustainable development path
The demands of the film can also be found in the July 2020 position paper, “Covid-19 Pandemic and Demands for the migrants, refugees and displaced peoples,” of the International Migrants Alliance (IMA).
The film was developed in collaboration with Asosiasi Buruh Migrant Indonesia Hong Kong (ATKI-HK), Films4Peace Foundation, Indonesian Migrant Workers Union Hong Kong (IMWU-HK), International Migrants Alliance (IMA), Jaringan Buruh Migran Indonesia (JBMI), La Resistencia, Migrante International, Migrante Philippines and Miredes Internacional.
The film is found below: